Thursday, February 4, 2010

Account of memory one

The earliest memory coming to mind is my first injury, two years of age.

I was in our house's playroom with my brother Graham jumping on the bed. Grammie jumped down off the bed to leave the room distracting me from my activity. As my eyes wandered with Graham my bouncing body misshaped the bed's surface and I took a tumble. My body fell horizontally towards the ground, and my head lined up with the bed-side table. Then thud, on the ground my eyebrow area was bleeding. I screamed, scooped myself up, and scrambled along my brother's path to track down my mother who was promptly pacing towards the racket.

My mum, dad, and I took a drive up to the health clinic, and I was subject to a shot and stitches. This is a memory filled with firsts: an injury, a shot, some stitches, and a scar.

Ain't it quaint that this is the earliest memory I remember. Do I remember this first because of the pain, or the scar? This point in my life is memorable because many things that happened that day were new. I was in shock that day. The event took a toll on me because my life was young, I had much to learn and experience, and everything that happened ceased to be forgotten.

We remember pivotal points in our lives and those points become memories. Instances with unexpected outcomes easily implant themselves in our minds as memories. The world shocks people every moment of every day, good and bad. Being a subject of [any] shock is always good because it allows us, the people involved and their overseers, to learn. The good and bad acts of the world create a context for everyone, of happiness and pain and the latter. People learn from their own good and bad experiences, and they learn from those who are willing to share theirs, of happiness and of pain and of the latter.

From this memory I've learned to not replicate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment