Tuesday, February 16, 2010

psyche-ology vs. psychology

If I'm not mistaken, Sigmund Freud was atheist, right? (If I'm wrong then tough, he's going to be in this misinformed blog.) Furthermore, Freud is the architect of modern psychology, the study of the mind, how people think, and stuff. To study the soul wasn't Freud's interest, but his subject psychology began with the soul, not the mind. Psyche is a word from some other language, probably Latin, and it means "soul." So how and why did "psyche-ology" morph into psychology when modern psychology doesn't have much or anything to do with the soul?
We do use philosophy to inquire about the soul, the meaning of life, and whatever preference one has about life or the world. Now I'm not a religious person, so to speak, but I'm more of a fan of the soul than the mind. (When I'm not in Bozo) I attend church to hear the good word, but call me a skeptic. Churchgoers support the soul. Skepticism supports agnosticism. I go to church to listen, think, question, and, on a good day, understand a little more of life's meaning. I "believe" meaning lies within the soul, and this makes the soul more intriguing than the mind.
But there's still a problem. Psychological and philosophical studies do not and cannot provide concrete answers. Freud started a movement, but what has psychology done since it's initiation? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it hasn't done much. What's the point if we're jotting in stone mostly correlation, not causation. I'm not saying philosophy gives more answers because it's probably a more frustrating subject. Psychology and philosophy's problem is that they study what might be, not what is. From this claim, simply we just don't know. The mind is smarter than us, and the soul is better at hide-and-seek than us. Call me a philosopher.

No comments:

Post a Comment