Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Bad Day?

Have a bad day; that's what was recommended to me. Today, I already had the jump start. Must've been fate or some unrecognized intuition, the bad day had a jump start on me. It started with me waking, taking a shower, brewing some coffee, and doing all that everyday-like routine thing. Then the bad started, something that a student like myself fears, a midterm exam. But how is that a truly bad thing, this fear? Well, if you forget when your midterm is then this fear thing exponentiates. Thus, the beginning of my bad day. It was quite funny after the conclusion of Lit. class. I was told that if I had a bad day then...who knows? I'll be glad next, I'm presuming? Something will come of it? Maybe it's a cause-N-effect/pain-pleasure/good-evil deal, a fluctuation of events and emotions, a recession of my personal, poly-variabled economic status. Shoot, if I have a bad day then some good must come of it, right? Hmm, well, considering it's still that bad day, my intellect and sophistication or something like that tells me that I best sleep on it.
Since were already on the issue, I might as well confess what my others pains from today were. Let's see: I went for a run (it sucks compensating good habits for the bad ones. [We could be hitting on something here, but we needn't pry.]), I did some homework (naturally, not that much fun), and, oh yes, I read some that darned book, The Brothers Karamazov (oh how I believe in that one saying, "patience is a virtue," A virtue which I have yet to find, develop, acquire, or however the hell it goes around the way).
But you know what, when I look at my so-deemed complaints it seems like these activities are what . amounts would love to do everyday, except for maybe the "homework" part. But, to make it sound more positive, we'll call it learning instead. Good comes with the bad and bad comes with the good, I think. When you run (especially if you just started), you hurt, you get tired, you get sore, you suffer. But you know what they say - "It's good for you!" Much like doing your homework; if you do your work then you get good grades and you learn. Much like reading, you'll learn and develop your skills if you do that work, too. And also, work is boring, it's hard, it's lengthy, and, shoot, it flat-out sucks, but if it's done or given some true effort then you'll find its worth, the good.
Think of it this way, and correct me if I'm retelling the story wrong or misconstruing my not-so-well-known history, but I remember the story from Lit. class about Fyodor Dostoevsky being brought out into some square because he was condemned to death for some reason (the place and reason I don't recall). At that point, F.D. probably was thinking something like, "You know what, I'm having a bad day." Alas, the condemners' plans abruptly change and F.D. lived and he was pardoned, back-to-back-to-back. I'll go out on a limb and hypothesize that Fyodor Dostoevsky found the good in his experience the bad. He probably did a lot of thinking after that incident, and then he went on to write quite a piece of work, The Brothers Karamazov.
I'll admit, this "bad day" of mine was probably somewhat mild as opposed to Fyodor's. I suppose I could pay some dues to F.D. by reading his book, and this will elongate my bad day. Wouldn't that be cool if the bad was prolonged then the good might be prolonged accordingly? Nonetheless, it's still hard to find the good in forgetting about a test, but, hey, I haven't seen any score, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment