Sunday, March 28, 2010

Halfway

It's been 324 pages (of the 'bout-750), and I still don't have a set-in-stone opinion of The Brothers Karamazov. It's like a day where your family attends a professional baseball game: The kids make sure to bring their mits. The family shows up to the stadium a few hours before gametime right in time for batting practice. You know what my family always wanted from a baseball game? A baseball. The family thinks that attending batting practice is a promising idea. So they show up and they think they have a good chance to get some action, but as batting practice commences, continues, then begins to wind down the family is still empty handed. Nonetheless, their experience is only half over and they still know that they have an entire game to get a baseball, which might be a larger reward.
You could say that I had high expectations for a novel which was hyped-up and wanted immediate results. I really wanted to have a ball (pun intended) right off the bat when I began reading The Brothers Karamazov, but it looks like I'm going to have to be more patient. Then again, batting practice is only half the battle. The climax usually arises around the seventh-inning-stretch.
Moreover, is attending a baseball game more about getting that coveted souvenir, having your team come away with a victory in the end, or is it the experience? Alas, a problem I'm having with The Brothers Karamazov is I don't know which team I'm rooting for, but I also don't know if I should be choosing sides. I suppose the experience is necessary for your views to be formulated or understood.
I guess I'm trying to figure out what The Brothers Karamazov's batting practice does for me since I haven't gotten my baseball, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment