Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Paronomasia

I am true fan of puns. Being a true fan of puns is like being a true fan of the Dallas Cowboys (which, ironically, I am as well), you're going to receive a lot of scrutiny. Since coming to Bozeman, I've advocated the art of the pun and my friends generally seem to respect my opinion of them if I am receiving groans from the "pun wars" which occasionally happen.
Then about a week ago, I'm told by a few friends that they read a fun fact. At least four people in a half-house said, "Spencer, did you know that puns are the lowest form of wit?" "No, really?" I say backtobacktobacktobackto--. How can this be? Puns are so clever, so simple. They shouldn't receive this kind of disrespect. But then I think, where did they get this information? They found that tidbit on "The STALL Street Journal." Hah, get it? The alleged lowest form of wit tidbit is from a source with a play on words within itself. Now doesn't this seem unfair? But this sways the argument in my favor, doesn't it.
Moreover, I reveal this anecdote to my professor who says that puns are numerously, successfully utilized within some of the most important pieces of literature. Therefore, if the "pun" is the lowest form of with then are Hamlet and The Holy Bible the lowest form of literature. Oo, that's debatable.

No comments:

Post a Comment